Great guide to learn surfing
August 9, 2019
If you are starting out or are curious about the world of surfing, this may be your best approach. We intend to provide you with the necessary elements for you to know and learn about this magnificent sport. We hope that when you finish reading this article, you will feel like immersing yourself in surfing, and that you will not have any more doubts and will jump into the water!
Do you know what surfing is?
It is a sport that you practice in the sea, you swim lying on a board towards the beach and when a wave comes you stand up and slide on top of it. It is a very fun sport but it also requires a lot of physical effort, come and get in shape now!
Types of Surfing
Depending on the size of the table you can talk about:
- Shorthboard, or Shortboard (1.50 to 2.10m), the narrower and thinner ones are for more maneuvers but give you less speed.
- Longboard or plank, is the classic style of surfing. You use a board equal or greater than 2.75m, they are wider, thicker. With them you reach more speed and you make softer maneuvers.
Depending on the waves where you practice it:
- Surfing itself, is the one that you usually see, covers several styles and competitions.
- Big Wave Surfing, when practiced on waves over 2 m high.
The essential things you need to do to surf are:
- The board, is the queen of this sport and as such, I will talk about it in detail later.
- A neoprene, lycra or mixed suit, you use them to protect yourself from low temperatures in the sea, blows, scratches, etc. Necessary to make surfing a pleasant experience for you. You should choose it because of the temperature of the water on the beach you are going to surf. In winter better be long and thick, in summer short and thinner.
- Kerosene wax is a kind of wax that you put on the board so that you do not slip. There are several types of kerosene and you should use them depending on the temperature of the water. You can substitute or complement it with Grip, which is a kind of rubber that you also stick to the board.
- A magnificent beach with great waves and a lot of desire to learn how to surf ;
Choosing your surfboard is one of the most important steps to start your surfing adventure! It basically depends on your weight, size and your surfing experience. You can also find the type of surfing you want to do and the type of waves you “need”. it is advisable if you are a beginner that you take a thick and long board, with a rounded tip, that floats well and doesn’t run too much, it will be easier for you to stand up.
Steps to surfing
Let’s start from the beginning; The paddling and the standing up you must practice many times out of the water (in the sand, on a carpet in your house, on the floor, etc.) The more times you do it, the better you will be able to do it later on the board. You should also be clear about which foot is always in front of you in all your movements. You will say ‘regular’ if it is the left one and ‘goofy’ if it is the right one. One way to know is to see how you are doing and
Advantages that Surfing gives you
The practice of surfing brings millions of benefits, you make friends, you get to know phenomenal places, you are in contact with nature, you share experiences and knowledge, you have fun, etc. But one of the most valued advantages among surfers is the physical benefits.
In addition to relaxing, you are combining aerobic work with toning, you burn your love handles while working and hardening your muscles. Great, two in one! You exercise your heart, arms, back, legs, buttocks, improve endurance, coordination and balance. It is a very complete and integral sport.
Some tips for beginners in surfing
To successfully carry out all the projects you undertake there are some rules or advice you should follow and surfing is no exception, take note:
- Currents are common in this sport and you must make them part of it. If you enter them, the important thing is not to lose your calm and lying down on the board, wait for a foam barrier to take you to the shore.
- Don’t forget the ecological responsibility you have with the planet, when you leave the beach you should try to leave everything as if you had never been there.
- Surfers who start from the innermost part where the wave breaks, have priority over it.
- Local surfers have priority over visitors, you must wait for your chance to catch good waves after they do.
- It is ideal if you start in a surf school and have the guidance of someone with knowledge to teach you the right techniques, you will avoid vices and bad habits.
- Practice tirelessly paddling over broken waves (foam), it is the first step to master the whole waves.
- Go without haste, with constancy, much discipline and above all enjoying this practice.